Monday, June 24, 2013

The week.

This week was a great week!! There are two stories and one point that sticks out in my mind in particular that I want to share about this week.

The first one happened on thursday night. We had everything fall through the whole day and had a priest out with us the whole day. But then after dinner we had so many appointments we called Brother Eden out to go on splits with us. So I went with Bro. Eden and Elder White went with the priest. So me and Bro Eden went to a couple of appointments but then had time for one last one before turning in. I remembered seeing someones name on the ward roster as I was studying it the past couple of weeks. Next to her name it said "do not contact/not interested"...so I felt that we should go see her :) So we looked up her address and showed up at her door. I didn't know what to expect so I told bro. eden to be prepared haha. We knocked on her door and her husband answered. We had no idea that she was married. Well eventually she came out to talk to us and told us how she had been judged her whole life. She was covered in tattoos and piercings...i thought they looked cool too be honest. Anyways, we got to talking about how we go to church to please God and not people. We go to take the sacrament for God not others. She started to open up and eventually I just asked..."can we come inside and share a quick message?". She kinda paused like she was caught off gaurd and said "sure!". So we walked in and shared a message about the sacrament and Christ with her family. Her husband is not a member. It was really spiritual and at the end she said "you do realize that this is the first time in 4 years I have ever answered the door for a missionary, let alone let them inside my home" I told her I did not and that I was surprised. She asked us to come back this thursday and have dinner with them and teach them afterwards. I was humbled by that experience because i learned two things of great value: 
1. The spirit can soften hearts
2. The Lord's timing is everything and He will work miracles
She is an amazing lady with an amazing husband. We are excited to see her this week and get some food!! ;)

Second story is about one of the sweetest ladies I have met out here. She is about in her 60's and she has been less active ever since joining the church. The missionaries have been meeting with her for the past 2 years every week. Well me and Elder White made it a goal to help her feel the spirit whenever we walked in her house. Long story short, she came to church this Sunday. It was the first time she has been to church in 6 YEARS. She finally came. Her desire was strengthened. It made my whole week!! It was so amazing to watch her partake of the sacrament and renew the covenants that she had made with her loving Heavenly Father at baptism. God really does work through the Spirit to individualize the Atonement for our lives.

And that is exactly the last point that comes to mind. Through the experiences we have with the Spirit, the Atonement of Christ can be molded to our lives and can become a very personal, real thing in our lives. We feel of God's love through the Spirit. What are we doing to have spiritual experiences? How can we be empowered by the Atonement if we don't take the time to learn of Christ through the Spirit? The Spirit is the link between us and the love that Christ has for us. It is the single most important aspect in the doctrine of conversion...because only through yielding to the enticings of the Holy Spirit can we throw off the natural man through the Atonement of Christ (mosiah 3:19). Let the Spirit teach you and teach others how personal and relevant the Atonement is in our lives. What can you do today to have the Spirit to be with you? Remember the sacrament prayer and think about these three questions. 
1. What can I do today to remember Him
2. What can I do today to take upon His name 
3. "When obedience ceases to be an irritant and instead becomes a quest, then God will endow us with power from on high" What can I do today to make obedience more of a quest?
I promise each of you an added measure of the Spirit as you ponder these three things and allow your covenants to empower you to get closer to Christ.

I love you all. Great things are happening in the world. Miracles will continue to happen "as the Lord liveth" and as we "exercise our faith in Him". Remember this scripture. 

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.

love,

Elder Cutler


the HOMIE!! i love this kid. they say you meet your best friends on the mish...


elder roundy my man!!

No comments:

Post a Comment