Monday, October 22, 2012

What a week. - Email 10.22.12


"Why do we all do the things that we do, when we know the things that we know?"
Think about it. Why do we do that?
 "The present is an age of pleasure seeking, and men are losing their sanity in the mad rush for sensations that do but excite and disappoint...the devil is busier than he has ever been in the course of human history, in the manufacture of pleasures, both old and new; and these he offers for sale in most attractive fashion, falsley labeled, "HAPPINESS". Follow one of the purchasers as he goes off gloatingly with his gaudy packet, and watch his as he opens it. What finds he inside the gilded wrapping? He has expected fragrant happiness, but uncovers only an inferior brand of pleasure, the stench of which is nauseating...Happiness leaves no bad after taste, it is followed by no depressing reaction, it calls for no repentance, brings no regret, entails no remorse; pleasure too often makes necessary repentance, contrition, and suffering; and if indulged to the EXTREME, it brings DEGRADATION and DESTRUCTION...Happiness is not akin with levity, nor is it one with light-minded mirth. It springs from the deeper fountains of the SOUL and is not infrequently accompanied by tears. Have you ever been so happy that you have had to weep?"
We waste so much time in things that don't matter. Indulging ourselves in the pleasures or treasures of the world. "Seek ye first for the kingdom of God". If we know that this life is a probationary period where we are being prepared to meet God again someday and be judged according to our actions and works in this life...WHY do we WASTE so much time!!??!?
This past week I have been doing alot of thinking on my past. Why did I care so much about what others thought about me? Why did I care about that party that I went to? Why did i care about that silly highschool relationship that I was in instead of my family? Why did I check facebook, and twitter and instagram so much when I could have been doing something else? Why did I not spend more time with people who truly cared about me? Why did I not study the scriptures more often? Why did I pursue relationships with people who couldn't care less about me now that we have moved on instead of furthering a relationship with my Heavenly Father who wants the very best for me?! Do you see where I am going with this? So much of our time is wasted in the things that we pursue. Sure they are fun, but are we balanced in the things that we choose to fill our time with. Sure many of us are good...but can we be better until we can someday achieve "best'?
My heart is filled with compassion and love as I continue to lose myself in the service of my God. That is true happiness. God's love is true happiness, His approval is true confidence. Serve Him with all your heart might mind and strength and trust Him to mold you into the person that He wants you to become. His ways are higher than ours. Don't just believe IN God, but rather BELIEVE HIM when He tells us that we will be taken care of if we serve Him only. You cannot serve two masters.
So much is on my mind. I have so little time to write and tell you the things that I am learning. Truly there is no better feeling then becoming converted to the Gospel of Jesus Christ through faith in His atonement.

This week was really really difficult. I have never been so tired in my whole entire life. Somehow my Heavenly Father's "grace is sufficient" for me because he is literally strengthinging me. This past week, people have yelled at us, sworn at us, tried to seduce us...you name it. No one wanted to listen. God was really trying our faith. The key to all this is faith in Him. We know that He will ALWAYS provide for us as long as we are being obedient to Him and following the propmptings of the Holy Ghost. Sure enough He did provide, "but after the trial of our faith". :) I love the people of Oklahoma. This ward that I am in, the Edmond 3rd ward is so amazing. SO AMAZING and I LOVE EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM. They are the angels that God is sending to prepare the people for the missionaries so that we can teach them. They are simply amazing. :) I love being a missionary. I love being stared at everywhere I go...(go figure, its dallin cutler here)....just kidding, I love the spirit I feel out here and I love how God is humbling me out here. Goodness gracious I have never felt so worthless when I try to do things without Him. If we are not humble, we are screwed. Simple as that. Pride is the universal sin that will eventually destroy you. Just be humble. Please.
So here's a cool thing I learned that I felt prompted to share. The main point is this: KNOWLEDGE DOES NOT INSURE SALVATION. EVER. This story is about Jesus Christ and how He went about doing good. He went about the streets performing miralces and casting out devils. In Luke 4:41 it says
 "And devils also came out of many, crying out and saying 'Thou art Christ the Son of God'. And He rebuking them suffered them not to speak: for they knew that He was Christ."
Wow. What an amazing eye opener. As Jesus cast the devils out of peoples bodies, they bore TESTIMONY of Him!! They knew that he was Jesus Christ, they knew what He had to offer!!! Even devils and satan have a testimony of our Savior Jesus Christ. They have a testimony...or I guess you could say...a knowledege. Now here is what is amazing!! Don't we all have testimonies of Jesus Christ? Weren't those actually devils who did as well?! Are we devils? Of course not, but when the devils bore testimony of Jesus Christ, was their nature changed?! NO! They were still devils. What do we learn from this? A testimony is GOOD, but conversion is BEST. Testimonies do not insure salvation, but conversion does!! We must CHANGE our nature by being converted to Jesus Christ through a testimony. A testimony is where it all begins, now we must "throw off the natural man and become converted" to the Gospel of Jesus Christ by following the Doctrine of Christ. Faith unto repentance, baptisms, recieving the gift of the Holy Ghost and then enduring to the end. Alot of us know who Jesus Christ is, and we think that is enough to be "saved". It is not. We must become converted by becoming more like Him and following in His footsteps. Develop charity for others, serve others, be obedient... Be like HIM!! Which leads me to my last quote...."Know that the Gospel is true but also, be true to the gospel". Read Elder Bednars talk from last general conference. BECOME CONVERTED (Mosiah 27:26).
I know this Gospel is true. Conversion is a lifetime process. We must STRIVE to become like Christ. We must STRIVE to be better every single day. If we know this, go out and DO!! Be different people through and in Christ!!
I love all of you guys!! Thank you so much for all your emails!! I read every single one of them!! If you want me to write back, you need to give me an address because I can't email back...rules are rules, even "silly" rules. :)
Time is going by way to fast, don't waste it!! Change the world!! One smile and good act at a time :)
Love,
Elder Cutler
p.s #taylorGangOrDie ;) hashtag...long live LIVERPOOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment